Learning how to treat sleep apnea with natural remedies can be simple, effective, and will make a big improvement in your sleep quality and daytime activity. These solutions can be applied at home. Once you’re diagnosed with sleep apnea at Wes Yemoto Esthetic and Holistic Dentistry, and after having an evaluation from Dr. Yemoto, the next course of action is preventing symptoms from exacerbating.
The Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
There are identifiable symptoms of this sleep disorder that can affect your overall well-being. They include:
- Breathing during sleep being interrupted for 10 seconds at a time
- Restlessness and non refreshing sleep
- Loud snoring
- Daytime sleepiness
- Morning headaches
- Depression and anxiety
- Mood swings
- Dry throat upon awakening
For milder cases of sleep apnea, lifestyle changes help.
Turning towards a more holistic way to treat sleep apnea, a sufferer of this debilitating sleep disorder can alleviate the above symptoms by trying any of the following natural treatments. A good rule of thumb is to take it one step at a time to avoid being overwhelmed.
When being mindful of activities and foods that play a role in sleep apnea, Dr. Yemoto truly stresses the importance of alleviating symptoms before they can wreak havoc on your sleep. His suggestions for natural treatments include:
- Reach and maintain a healthy weight
- Treat acid reflux, congestion, and coughs
- Adjust your sleeping position
- Avoid excessive alcohol, smoking, and the overuse of sedatives
- Consider temporarily using a sleep device.
- Take vitamins and minerals – Magnesium, 5-HTP
- Herbal remedies – Lavender, California Poppy, Thyme, Cramp Bark, Lobelia
Dr. Yemoto Will Set You On the Right Path
Tackling any sleep disturbance takes patience and diligence. By choosing a holistic approach when you initially notice any sleep apnea symptoms, this can help remedy any discomfort before you have a consultation with your sleep dentist or another professional who is skilled in this arena.
Dr. Yemoto can then take it a step further by offering our many sleep apnea treatments or oral devices, alongside the holistic approach. When it comes to overall health the combination of natural solutions with professional treatments, you’re well on your way to the restful sleep you deserve.